ADMISSION GUIDELINE:- 09241570412
Empower students through value based, quality and integral education; to empower others especially the socially and economically marginalized and create a ‘Civilization of Love’.
- To promote a value based education.
- To contribute to the transformation of society through being socially conscious and responsible.
- To synergize women and the less privileged regarding their basic human rights.
- To promote inter-cultural and inter-religious harmony and concern for the human family.
- To facilitate leadership among the students enabling them to proactively involve themselves in social liberation.
- To provide quality, integral, vocational and career oriented education and create a climate for human and educational excellence.
- To work towards the integrity of creation and foster interconnectedness, kinship and eco – justice.
Our Founder– Mother Teresa of St.Rose of Lima
The tale of this extraordinary institution began with the birth of an extraordinary human being – She was Mary Grace born in Madras, South India on January 29th 1859.
A legend who opened up a new and glorious page for Indian women.
Being a woman of substance and perseverance Mary Grace thinking far ahead of her times took a leap of faith – her milestone achievement being her tryst with education. She used learning as a weapon, a tool that enabled girl children to become leaders and strong, upright citizens. Deeply involved in spreading the light of God’s love through her quest for human rights, for caste reconciliation , for gender justice, and for social justice – envisioning a new generation and a new world, her commitment towards women’s education was truly monumental. Such has been her wisdom, the deftness of her many operations, such the potency of her timing that we now celebrate her covenant with God in the words Amazing Grace.
Indeed Mother Teresa of St. Rose of Lima formerly Mary Grace with prodigious courage, spearheaded a new dawn. Several of her initiatives, innovations and achievements in education and social advancement have assumed prophetic character in the presently changing national and global scenario.
CSST – Carmelite Sisters of St.Teresa
Mount Carmel College, Bangalore is owned and administered by the Carmelite Sisters of St.Teresa (CSST). It is inspired by the teachings of Jesus Christ, whose values were Love, Peace, Brotherhood/sisterhood, Equality, Joy, & Service. It is a minority institution enjoying the relevant rights and privileges guaranteed by the Indian Constitution.
Carmelite Sisters of St. Teresa (CSST) was founded in 1887 by Mother Teresa of St. Rose of Lima in the town of Ernakulam in Kerala. As a Catholic and a Carmelite Institute, it tries to promote the holistic development of young people based on the integral vision of the human person, of life and of the world. The Management and the staff , faithful to the spirit of the Foundress Mother Teresa of St. Rose of Lima , work together for the common goal of forming young people into citizens, Worthy of God and Worthy of our Nation and the World. The College founded and administered by the CSST is run primarily for the education of Catholic Christian women students, but it also caters to women students without distinction of caste, religion and creed.
MCC: A BRIEF HISTORY
“She is clothed with strength and dignity; She can laugh at the days to come.
She speaks with wisdom, and faithful construction is on her tongue”.
– Proverbs 31:25,26
While India was celebrating its new-found independence, the Carmelite Sisters of St. Teresa sought to fill a lacuna in women’s education. Mount Carmel College for women, owned and run by the congregation of the Carmelite Sisters of St. Teresa, in the year 1944 in Trichur (under the title of Carmel College in the State of Cochin) affiliated to Madras University, was transferred to Bangalore in 1948 to meet the increasing demand for women’s education. Thus began the story of Mount Carmel College, Bangalore on the 7th of July 1948 with just fifty students on its rolls.
Initially affiliated to Mysore University later it became an affiliated college of Bangalore University in 1964. MCC is a minority institution run primarily for Catholic Students but in the spirit of service, it opens its doors to those of all castes and creeds. It draws its inspiration from the person and teaching of Jesus Christ, Universal Master and Model of Education.
The college was granted the autonomy status in September 2005, affiliated to Bangalore University. Mount Carmel College was re-accredited with an A+ by National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) in 2006. It is one of the Colleges in India selected by UGC under the scheme, College with Potential for Excellence (CPE) in 2006. In the year 2012 the college was rewarded A grade by NAAC in its 2nd round of re-accreditation.
The College offers Under Graduate and Post Graduate Courses in Commerce and Management, Humanities, Science, Applied Science and Design. The student strength of the college in 1944 was 274; today it has strength of over 5,500 students pursuing both Under Graduate and Post Graduate Programmes. As a major step, the College established an Institute for Management Studies (MCIM) in 1992, with a view to provide women students an opportunity to pursue Management Education
The College has well established research facilities, State of the Art laboratories and facilitates research culture both among staff and students. The Commerce Department has been recognized as a Research centre by Bangalore University in 2006. Further IGNOU has recognised many of the Departments as Research Centers from the year 2010 – 11. The College has been registered with the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR) and is recognized as a Scientific and Industrial Research Organization (SIRO) by the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research, Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India (Act 1988) in the year 2011.
Under the Under Graduate stream the college offers ten Programmes in the Faculty of Arts, eighteen in the Faculty of Science and four in the Faculty of Commerce and Management. Number of Post Graduate programmes has increased from three under the affiliated system to thirteen under the autonomous system. The College through the Centre for Extended Education offers skill based credit programs.
In the course of it’s over 6 decades of history Mount Carmel College has worked successfully at its primary objective of women empowerment through education and it continues to be committed to the same.
Mount Carmel College has been shaped by the visionary leadership of the succeeding Principals of the college
Dr. Sr. Arpana
Principal, Mount Carmel College, Autonomous
Dr. Sr. Arpana took over as the eighth serving Principal of Mount Carmel College, Autonomous on 1st February 2014. A member of CSST, she has been serving Mount Carmel College for over 2 decades. An alumnus of MCC, Sr. Arpana has rich teaching experience as Associate Professor in the Department of Psychology. Her firm but friendly approach has won her many admirers among her students over the years. Her international exposure as a Counselor in a Higher Secondary School in Kenya was an enriching experience which contributed to her personal growth and honed her leadership ability.
An active researcher with several publications to her credit, Sr. Arpana did her M.Phil from Bangalore University in 1998 on “Aging in a Religious Order: A Study of Catholic Priests and Nuns”. In 2012, she was awarded PhD by Mysore University for her thesis“Effectiveness of Life Skills Training on Shyness among Adolescents”.
Dr. Sr. Arpana is committed to charting a new chapter in the growth of the institution by evolving a forward-looking, inspirational road map for the college’s future transition into a University.
Our College is awarded A grade under the CGPA system of Accreditation in 2012.
Recognized College by UGC as a College with Potential for Excellence
- One of the first women’s colleges to be founded in 1944 in Trichur, Kerala, under the Madras University.
- The college transferred to Bangalore becoming one of the first women’s colleges in Karnataka in 1948 affiliated to the Mysore University.
- One of the first colleges in Bangalore to be granted Affiliation by Bangalore University in 1964.
- First women’s college to start NCC wing in Karnataka.
- One of the first All Women’s college to start PGDBA in India.
- MCC celebrated its Golden Jubilee in 1998.
- Awarded Five Stars by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) in 1999.
- First Campus recruitment was held by General Electric for final year students in 2000.
- Selected for the India Study Abroad Programme by the University of Massachusetts Lowell and Northern Essex.
- Selected by ICCR and Educational Consultants (India) for foreign students.
- Honored by the Rotary Club for “its service to the community, serving the noble cause of education”.
- The winner of the Dr. Job Memorial Award for “its excellent and innovative programmes”.
- Featured every year (since conception) by India Today in the ranking for the top twenty colleges of India.
- One of the first colleges in Karnataka to be granted autonomy in 2005.
- Reaccredited A+ by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) in 2005.
- Identified under UGC Scheme as College with Potential for Excellence (CPE) in 2006.
- The Department of Commerce and Management recognized as Research Centre by Bangalore University.
- Recognized Research Centre of IGNOU in 2011.
- Recognized as SIRO (Scientific and Industrial Research Organization) by DSIR (Department of Scientific and Industrial Research), Ministry of Science and Technology, GOI.
- Re- Reaccredited A by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) in 2012.