The Department of Biotechnology was started the year 2002. Being the first institution under the Visvesvaraya Technology University (VTU) to recognize the need for an undergraduate technical program in biotechnology, Sir MVIT played a pioneering role in the formulation of the curriculum, starting with preparation of draft syllabus, organization of seminars/conferences/workshops, initiating industry-institute interactions & so on. Today, the department is well established with an excellent infrastructure and a highly competent team of faculty members drawn from various fields such as Bioinformatics, Plant biotechnology, Microbial biotechnology, Protein biochemistry, Environmental Engineering, Bioprocess technology & Chemical Engineering. Apart from imparting quality education, this Department has distinguished itself in the sphere of R & D activities as well.
BE (BIOTECHNOLOGY) – AN ENGINEERING COURSE:
The biotechnology course as an engineering degree focuses not only on the technological, computational and mathematical aspects of the sphere of biosciences, but also the application of the same with respect to industry and medicine. The BE course in biotechnology thus represents a bridge between biological sciences and the ‘conventional’ engineering disciplines.
- First to initiate the BE in Biotechnology under VTU
- First batch enrolled in 2002
- Well- equipped labs with an excellent infrastructure
- Highly competent team of faculty members
- Making rapid strides both in terms of imparting Quality Education as well as in the sphere of R&D activities.
- Started the M.Techprogramme in 2011
DEPARTMENT VISION AND MISSION
VISION:To promote quality education, research & innovation in biotechnology for enabling sustainable growth & development
– To enable students to develop strong fundamentals of the diverse domains of biotechnology, both from a theoretical and practical standpoint.
– To sustain academic excellence and stimulate innovative thinking among students.
– To foster and promote research activities among the faculty members who in turn, would inculcate this spirit of scientific enquiry among the students.
– To develop the Department as a vibrant centre of excellence, enriched with state-of-the-art facilities, actively involved in collaborative research, training & consultancy with reputed industries/R&D Institutes
- Core Competence: To provide students with a sound foundation in mathematical, biological, computational and engineering aspects, which are essential for honing their problem solving and trouble shooting skills in the diverse spheres of biotechnology, that would enable them to pursue relevant career prospects in the pertinent domains.
- Preparation: To prepare students with the fundamentals required for pursuing suitable careers in various sectors such as Food BT, Pharmaceutical BT, Environmental BT, Agricultural BT, Bioinformatics and Bioprocess Engineering.
- Breadth: To develop the ability among students to synthesize data and technical concepts for application towards prototype plan and product design, in order to address problems of interdisciplinary nature, thus enabling them to function successfully as part of multidisciplinary project teams.
- Professionalism: To inculcate in the students to codes of ethics and professional practice, so as to develop skills for effective teamwork and project management.
- Initiative: To actively promote entrepreneurial abilities among students, in order to make them well equipped, not merely as job seekers but also as job-providers in the domains of biotechnology and healthcare.
CONTACT US:Dr. H G Nagendra
Professor and Head
Dept. of Biotechnology
Via Yelahanka, Bangalore- 562 157
Phone: 91-80 – 28467248/ 28477024/ 28477025/ 28477026 Extn: 178
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org
Extn: 180 (Office), 177 (Staff 1), 179 (Staff 2)